Chinese New Year 2016 in Ghana

                                                       Happy Chinese New Year! Gong Xi Fa Cai!



When we say Chinese New Year, this is where the family members are gathered for a sumptuous meal (dinner/lunch), especially for those family members who are away from home, but for me and Richard this year’s celebration of CNY is a bit quiet, we decided to just stay and celebrate in Ghana (at home) and cook some traditional Chinese dishes.
It’s my first time celebrating CNY away from family, oh well not all Chinese are passionate about celebrating CNY especially those who are living/working overseas that are really thousand of miles away and airfare prices are a bit steep? nahh they would prefer to just stay to lessen the expenses, so what you can do is to either create a Chinese New Year atmosphere at your place or just let that day pass naturally.(On the brighter side this is just one of those experiences that only Independent people traveling or living overseas have, you will become a stronger & self-reliant Individuals! Cheers to that! So just be proud of it and treasure it while you still can). Another thing is that CNY is not really a big thing or is recognized in some African countries especially in Ghana, but the number of Chinese people is actually growing now, maybe in few years time, I’ll be seeing some Dragon/lion dance and a China town will be built (Hopefully!).

February 8, 2016 – Year of the Monkey, CNY is also known as the Spring Festival. The date varies depending on the Lunar calendar.  This is the time for Chinese families to clean their house to brush off misfortune and make room for good luck! In China/Philippines or maybe in some other countries you will see vendors selling & doors decorated with red colored paper cutouts with some small oranges (kumquat) and mini pineapples that symbolize happiness and wealth.

The usual practice for this festival (In my home country) is that it should officially begin on February 7, 2016, which is Chinese New Year’s Eve. Families get together for dinner. Usually fish, dumplings, Nian Gao, Chinese noodles and the 12 different kinds of fruits are being served as it is supposed to signify prosperity! 

I really don't cook during CNY (huhu I miss my mom, she always do the cooking ) but of course as I am away from home (and in the future I'm going to be having my own family) I should be learning how to make everything especially those that are not available in the country where I'm currently in! So for the CNY eve, for my menu I got: Chinese noodles(Symbolizes a wish for longevity), dumplings (招财进宝 Bringing in wealth and treasure, steamed buns, Fried fish (年年有余May you always have more than you need), Tang Yuan (团团圆圆 Happy Family reunion!)

Food for TWO!! lol

Tang Yuan! Cant even compare it to my Moms Tang Yuan :(


Richard's CNY treat for his Colleagues!

Then on the next morning February 8th, it is Chinese New Year’s Day yeheeey! J it’s celebrated with family visits and New Year celebrations. The fun festive got its own activities of course, it includes dragon dances, setting off firecrackers, and worshiping ancestors and the most important thing is the exchange of red envelopes/packets, filled with money!hohoho Too bad this year I did not received  any red envelope! And no more red envelopes for me except on our wedding day I guess. For red envelopes once a person gets married that is the time you start giving and stop receiving red envelopes! (not sure about this, but this is as per my mom LOL)


Red Envelopes from CNY 2015! :(


My Nephew and Nieces (from Hong Kong and Philippines) wishing you all and Happy Chinese New Year! :)


>