KFC in Accra, Ghana (Wipe a Smile on your face?)

                                                                                         KFC, Marina Mall 
With so many food choices, I'm not really a big fan of KFC..I do not eat KFC everyday when I was in PH, but for a reason that I do not know, when I started living overseas, Just find myself craving for KFC. And if KFC comes into my mind I would always think of their "It's finger linkin" good tagline... 2 pcs original chicken flavor, a cup of rice and lots and lots of GRAVY! just thinking of the gravy makes me drool. 


Saturday is our usual grocery day and last Saturday we were late for grocery because of my yoga class that ends at 11. When we got to Marina Mall, we then decided to get few pieces of chicken from KFC for snack  but when we got inside the fast food chain.. yaaayy we changed our mind and just decided to have our lunch there since its already 12ish. I’ve tried KFC in other cities/countries like Hong Kong, Guangzhou, Quanzhou, Dubai and now in Ghana.It doesn’t taste the same. While Richard  have tried it Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia,Korea, Boston, New York, Washington D.C, Dubai, Mongolia, and hes likes the KFC from Indonesia as its not oily and fatty, while KFC chicken from the states he said is huge :D with all those that I have tried? I’m happy to announce that the Philippines’ KFC is really tasty, Very Tasty! What’s more gravy is refillable for free when you dine in-store, compared with Hong Kong where gravy isn’t free, GuangZhou and QuanZhou were the chicken is steamed or I think boiled without gravy and in Ghana its fried chicken but  no gravy and is  served with jollof rice, but then of course they just need to cater to the local taste, if there is a need for localisation of the menu they should do that, else how will they sell? 

If I'm not mistaken,I think KFC is the first western food chain to open in Ghana or should I say West Africa? and already got 5 branches, Pizza hut will be coming in (maybe few more months) and McDonalds ( few more years). The reason that McDonalds or Burger King is not in West Africa is concern over the supply chain. But with KFC having mainly chicken, Its workable as chicken is one of the basics here in Ghana its just a matter of  how they will be able to meet the quality control standards demanded by KFC's parent company (which they were able to make as KFC is now in Ghana!) 
I was a bit lost with their tagline this time, "wipe a smile on your face" not the 
"Finger Lickin' Good" anymore? though Colonel Sanders' still there :D
                                                                                                   
KFC coleslaw 









Richard warming up! :D


Family Set for 72GHC= 18$

Looking at our order from a locals perspective? This family set wont be enough! It's with 6pcs of fried chicken served with jollof rice, coleslaw, fries and two bottles of drink.   Maybe this will be enough for a Ghanaian family of 3 (mom dad and a little kid) but for all grown ups? Nope. But whats very interesting is that most of the customers I've seen in this KFC are locals so they probably can afford it!

Inside, it was was very warm, A/C are obviously off ( whats new?! It was clean and spotless (off course! have to!). The people that worked there were kinda but not too friendly, they do the usual greetings once you get to the counter, they don't open the doors for you and greet like what crew do in the Philippines. I don't know if its just this branch but its a self service fast food chain, I don't see any waiters roaming around, I honestly can’t remember the last time I ate at a KFC, but  this wasn't the kind of KFC I wanted to go to. I should better check other branc next time.  They  don't offer the same concept as they do in the Philippines and other countries. This branch only sell two types of chicken, the  Spicy and regular (Non Spicy) both are flaky and really crispy (taste good though), you can only differ them in Color as the spicy one is reddish. I did not try the spicy one as the African spicy is REALLY spicy! The 6 piece bucket was expensive at $18. KFC in Ghana is viewed as a one of the upscale establishments as prices are extremely expensive by Local standards. 

Will I recommend? Yes, Takeaway!
Will I go back? No, but If I really have no choice and is craving for fried chicken Maybe..

>