How I feel About Being A Young Diplomat's Spouse

I didn’t have any idea what "Foreign Service a.k.a Diplomat" really means or do until I met and married one. I don't get to encounter Diplomats when I was in the Philippines, I did not even know that the guy (my husband) I was dating back then was a Diplomat until the 2nd month of seeing him, getting to know him and what he do for a living.
That made me fully understand what Diplomats do. It's a job people really consider if (1) you enjoy traveling and learning about other cultures (2) Adventurous (3) Passionate about public service (4) promote peace, support affluence, and protect American citizens while advancing the interests of the United States abroad. Your assignments will take you around the world, where you may be attending a treaty event in some nice countries or maybe in a war zone area risking your life. Sounds fun huh? But it is not LOL there are lots of ups and down of being a diplomat as well. It’s totally different than working in a corporate world (where I was exposed to).

Well, A lot of mixed emotions and lots of concerns running into my mind...what can I do? I'm an old soul in a modern body with a futuristic state of mind. But I can say this though my maturity serves/will serve me well through out life, Making me aware of what I should and should not do to enjoy a beautiful sense of how to approach the word!


Insecurity, maybe because I’m the youngest or maybe because Richard and I are totally in a different fields of work.



  • I haven’t met any diplomat’s wife who is the same age as me. we do not really jive well or they just come and go, I’m not boasting but my husband is really a smart communicator, a person whom you can talk to when it comes to Politics, Business, Stocks, Investments, Economic Growth & Stability, Current Events, Travels, almost anything and everything under the sun. He works with people who are 10 or 15 years older than him.. and they like him lol and yeah I get to meet them as well when they come to our house for drinks... then so what do I do? nothing, can't relate to their conversation especially if its work related lol (but so far I’m getting into it, getting used to it, slowly adjusting). People may not expect me to be like him but I just feel that I have to. no worries Ailene! In time!! haha
I have to  give up a lot for the marriage
  • First, I met my husband in Ghana, West Africa whilst I’m on a project assignment, I work for a private company that is based in the Philippines. Don’t get me wrong I love my job and sooner or later I have to give it up if my husband’s tour in Ghana ends, I have no choice but to follow my husband and my career ends here. I still don’t see myself working for the government as I’m used to working in a Private company, different rules apply for both entities.  It will be challenging looking for a job as we travel from one country to another, but I really hope I can get one. Well wife gets compensated for not working as per Richard, but I don’t know if I can be a Full time house wife! I get bored easily especially when I’m at home.
  • Second, I want to do business, I have  plans of doing business in the future, I may still be working  for now but I’m still young and Entrepreneurship runs in my blood, with me being connected to a Diplomat I’m not quite sure if I can still venture into the kind of business I want as we travel.

I will lose contact with a lot of people (Hope Not)

  • I’m a very sociable person in my country with a lot of circle of friends from high school to college until I started working. With my current job I get to go home for a month that’s paid for after every 5 or 6 months of being overseas but when I leave the company following my husband I don’t think I still get to have same perks. Being abroad means that you will not see your friends, family and you will lose also almost all professional contacts.

Ending up in the country  where you do not speak their language

  • There are very few English speaking countries in the world and they are not high in demand for foreign missions. Although my husband need not worry as people around him will adjust for him but not for me. If I want to work outside the embassy but it will be difficult. I might get working permit, but of course most company would want you to speak their local language to be able to communicate. 

Happy and Scared for my future kid.

There are pros and cons though, growing up in a  conservative Chinese family these are my points of view:


  • Pros: I know My future kid will live a good life as we travel; they will learn different languages at a young age; they will be flexible; have friends all over the world; get to see the world; expose to many cultures; will be open minded; will go to the best international school;  build their own connections; prestige! They may not be living like a millionaire’s kid but it is definitely a comfortable economic position and lifestyle
  • Cons: I don’t want a child that is an embassy brat; taking things for granted especially the Diplomatic Immunity; they will have an unstable upbringing, moving around every two or three years, yes they will make a lot of friends but no real lasting friendships; they may feel like a foreigner in their own country (Philippines or United States), which will make them feel odd every time people ask them “so where you from?”, considering the mom is from the Philippines and Dad is from the United States and we are Chinese looking people ; the kid will miss the opportunity to be with their cousins and get to know them more because they will be on the other side of the world; it will take time for the kid to figure out what they want to do with their lives because they are not from one place, we are from all over the world (this really scares me).

As of now... these are all I can think about.. I'm sure there is still more..
>