Celebrating Birthday Overseas 2017

Richard happy to see his cake

My sincerest thanks to all of the wonderful birthday wishes that came in from literally all over the world. 


This year’s birthday celebration, hubby and I did a very simple birthday celebration at home. For his Birthday we had steak and for mine I cooked my favorite Filipino style spaghetti, fried chicken and barbecue (Hubby calls it Jollibee birthday celebration  LOL) .

Just a quick Insight of an expat life celebrating birthdays...
To be honest, I did felt a little homesick on my birthday, just a little bit because I miss my family, friends, the surprises, lots of cakes, gifts, eating out and the birthday countdown party, celebrations that usually last for a week. Well this wasn’t too big of a surprise to me now that I’m on my third year living overseas. Actually I was anticipating it already! I’m just happy and thankful that I have someone to celebrate with - my husband. You see, on my first to two years of living overseas I had a few waves of homesickness throughout various celebrations, from Chinese New Year, birthdays, Mooncake festivals, Christmas, New Years and even on those special milestones of my friends and I am expecting something similar for the REST OF MY LIFE unless we get posted in the Philippines.
So so so!! That’s it I’m just sharing this to give you a bit of honest insight into our expat life when it comes to celebrations (I think this applies to all expat, not sure?) The odds are slim that I will be back in the Philippines to celebrate my birthday anytime soon. Super duper slim. So the idea of celebrating it in any Filipino-Chinese style with friends and family from back home just isn’t going to happen anymore.  Instead, I have to adjust my expectations and build new traditions with hubby in whichever country we are in. I have already admitted and accepted that birthdays overseas will never evah be the same! And that’s okay. It’s more than okay. It’s just a tough adjustment to make. As I discover life with hubby I guess we just have to make and plan every year’s birthday exciting from now on! 

>